Monday, September 1, 2008

Birthdays, Kayaks, and Other Thoughts

Well,yesterday was my sixty-once birthday, as in I was sixty once. All in all, a pretty uneventful day. While we were sitting around in the morning trying to decide if we were going kayaking, and if so, where, Chris showed up to finish the brake job we started last weekend. We had to stop last time because the guy at BAP/GEON gave him two sets of front rotors instead of fronts and rears. So he finished up the brake job while I supervised and fetched tools. While we did this, the wind came up so we scratched kayaking for the day.

After Chris left, we went and did a little shopping. First to Kohl's to see if they had a new bathing suit for Gail. And then to BJ's to stock up on meat. Then we watched a movie and gorged ourselves on Chinese food. We both went way over our calorie limit, but what the hell, we've been so good for the last 6 weeks, we deserved it.

Throughout the day, my mind totally wandered through the many years of my life. As I have aged, some say not so gracefully, I have come to realize that my life has been pretty good. Sure, I get grumpier the older I get, but I've earned the privilege! I wouldn't change a thing. The little things in life will continue to piss me off, because there are no BIG things. All is good......

This morning when we got up, it was a replay of Saturday mornings weather, around 80 degrees and dead calm. No question about it today, we loaded up and headed out. We decided not to fight Labor Day traffic at the Oceanfront, and opted to head for the Back Bay instead of First Landing. Turns out it was a great decision. The bay was calm and the paddling was easy. We decided to head south this time, towards Shipp's Bay. We cut across into Peter's Cove, then out around the islands, and were even considering paddling across the bay to the Sandbridge side. But, we decided to scout out a couple of large duck blinds about 2/3rds of the way across. After that, we headed back toward Horn Point and some distance up the channel we explored on the tour. Map of the trip below, 6.55 miles.




This where we launch at Horn Point.....
The "Boss" paddling toward Shipp's Bay.....
Heading toward Peter's Cove.....
Looking back toward Horn Point.....
Way off in the distance is the Horn Point launch area.....
Back on dry land.....

The trip was about three hours on the water. We did quite a bit of open water paddling out on the Back Bay. These little kayaks are extremely sea worthy and handle very well. As far as I am concerned, these kayaks have paid for themselves in just the three trips we have taken. The currency of the pay back is solitude, enjoyment, and exercise. I wish we would have started this years ago. About 99% of the time we are on the water, we are totally alone, not another person in sight. The peace and solitude is amazing. A real Zen experience.

While we were paddling, fish (some very large) were jumping everywhere. I think we found some very good places to fish. Next on the agenda is to outfit the kayaks for fishing. We need small tackle boxes, lanyards to attach to equipment, and maybe a small anchor for each. I might take a look later this week. Both Gail and Chris are bugging me to go fishing.

Not too bad for the first day of September.

2 comments:

jakesmom said...

Sounds like a great couple of days. Wish I could have been there for the actual bday but will make up for it this weekend.

I love how you said that the little things will keep pissing you off because there are no big things. I never thought of it that way. I only have one 'big' thing pissing me off these days...

Big hugs and see you Thursday!

beth said...

just catching up on my blogging....HAPPY BIRTHDAY, mr. sixty once!

time for the golden years :)...ha ha...

and chinese food sounds good...james would never let me get that- i'm jealous!