Monday, June 23, 2008

Addicted to the CWS ????

Am I addicted to the College World Series ? I think so... I start watching the CWS in earnest as soon as they start broadcasting the Super Regionals. (Note: Occasionally a local area Regional game will be broadcast in the "local" area on a small cable channel or Versus, i.e. UNC in Virginia, and I will tune in). But, I can definitely state that I have watched all or most of every CWS game since the Super Regionals started. That is until last night. The game was moved from ESPN 2 to ESPN C. Guess who doesn't get ESPN C ? Was I upset ? Oh Yea !!!! What was my recourse ? I tried to find an ESPN radio station broadcasting the game in this area. No Such Luck ! Oh, what to do ?

To make matters even worse, it was one of my team's last chance to make it to the Finals. Once the eight teams were set, I picked Stanford and Fresno State, one team from each bracket. Both teams shared one characteristic, neither was seeded. The remaining six teams were seeded. I guess I just have to root for the underdog. Stanford had lost to UGA, the #8 seed on Saturday and was eliminated (one pick gone, one remaining). Fresno State was undefeated and had to win only one more game to advance. Fresno lost 4 to 3 to UNC on Saturday, two run home run in the bottom of the eighth by Chad Flack (cool baseball name) for the UNC lead. Whoever won the Sunday game would advance. So, #8 Georgia eliminated #1 Miami, and unseeded Fresno could eliminate #2 UNC. A perfect giant killer scenario.

Add to that that James had picked UGA and UNC and you can see that there were bragging rights at stake until next year.

Finally, I logged on to the CWS website, opened one window with the audio from 580 radio in Fresno, CA., and opened a second window with Game Tracker. So there I was, listening to the play by play on the radio, and watching the little "Weeble" players act out the game. Is this a sign of addiction ? I had to have my CWS fix !

1 comment:

jameson said...

battle of the bulldogs! it's on!