Sunday, July 5, 2009

Great Weekend 6-20-09

This post has been in the works for a while. Never had a chance to finish it up, so I decided to publish it now just to get it done.

All our work was finished up on Thursday, planning a kayak outing for the weekend. Also, I have been looking for a good deal on a tandem kayak for about five months now. Every time I find one, it has just sold. Well that changed on Thursday. I decided to check on Craig's List while I was at work and there was one listed. I called the number listed and left a message for the seller. He called me back about three and explained that he would be busy with a client (he is a personal trainer that works out of his home in Chick's Beach) until about a quarter to five and then had to leave. I told him I would be there at 4:45 on the dot. I left work early and headed out. Got there at 4:40, he finished with the client and showed me the kayak. A little rough around the edges, but still a decent deal. Scored a tandem kayak. Just after we had loaded it into my truck someone else drove by that was interested. Too late! I found out that he was supposed to take his son to a karate lesson, but my stopping by made that impossible, so his wife had to be the chauffeur. Hope it didn't cause too much trouble.

Saturday morning we headed out the First Landing State Park for the maiden voyage of the "VBK OURS". We only stayed out for a couple of hours due to the weather. Not that it was bad, just the opposite, beautiful. BUT, about 95 degrees, high humidity, with a heat index around 110. Gruesome.........

While we were out, a couple of times I thought about jumping in the water. As we were paddling, I thought I saw grease spot floating on the water, but upon closer examination, saw something that kept us out of the water. See below...


Lots of jellyfish. They were everywhere. No water for us.

"The Virginia Beach Kayak (VBK) Ours"
We got home just before the heat got really oppressive. All in all, good timing.

On Sunday we went down to Sandbridge to meet up with Chris, Courtney and Greyson for a day at the beach. Seemed like a good way to spend Father's Day. The wind came up and it was like being in a sandblaster from the knees down. We aborted that plan. Later they came over for a BBQ. Greyson wanted to play in the rocks, but only lasted to the point where he decided that he would eat the rocks no matter how many times he had been told NO.


1 comment:

jakesmom said...

Do NOT miss the jellyfish. One time Jake and I went out with friends on their boat. Same thing, hot afternoon, high humidity. There were so many jellyfish in a section of back bay that it looked like you could walk on them. Yuck. Glad you finally got the tandem. Now when Jake and I come out you guys can use that one and we can use the singles, :)